With summer in full swing, many an empty preserving jar is coming out of the cupboard to be filled in Marlborough kitchens by avid home preservers. We have sauce tomatoes for you this weekend, just for this purpose.
In season, our stall holders are offering a multitude of fresh produce at the moment, all locally grown. Here is a sample.
- Less travelled tree ripened avocados
- Birch Grove Farm’s sweet corn, nashi and apples
- Tree ripened peaches, nectarines, plums , peacharines, strawberries
- Sauce tomatoes perfect for tomato sauce and chutneys
- Spicy Jalapeno chilies, egg plants
- Pumpkin, cabbage, carrots, leeks, garlic and onions
See you Sunday, rain or shine, from 9 til noon at A&P Showgrounds.
From our stallholders
We will be making these again next week.:
- Lemon blueberry scones, drizzled with citrus icing.
- Macaroni cheese scotch eggs without the egg replaced with shredded chicken, coated with Parmesan, cheddar, rolled oats and crushed cornflakes. Oven baked.
- Lemon blueberry scones.
Isobel Olives has 3 different oils to taste at the market – all are certified extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)and have silver medals from Olives NZ, the only accredited certifier in NZ.
Talk to Chris about food matches with the oils and ask him about the health benefits of his oils.
Fill-your-own – bring a clean bottle for a refill. Empty clean bottles are available also. Chris also has a healing balm to moisturize, soothe and heal and contains a range of ingredients, including his extra virgin olive oil, to help dry and sun damaged skin.
Sauce tomatoes six kgs 6 dollars
It’s time to make tomato sauce, tomato chutneys and pasta with these sauce tomatoes.
At this time of year everyone is searching for recipes to deal with the zucchini overload.
This recipe from Sophie Gray’s Destitute Gourmet website uses zucchini in a chocolate cake which also cuts down the sugar by using apple puree (just use an apple cooked and mashed).
Pedro will have spiced apple Walnuts and candy fennel Empanadas this Sunday, Yummy.
Pinoli Pine Nuts
Pinoli will not have a stall at the market for the next two weeks but you can find the premium Marlborough grown nuts for sale at the information stall.
Recipe for the Chocolate Zucchini Cake
It’s a versatile treat great for a party, picnic or a taking to the batch.
- 1 1/2 cups grated courgette/zucchini – 2 medium courgettes approximately
- 50g butter
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup apple puree – or unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder or granules
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup of sour cream, buttermilk or yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt1/2 cup chocolate chips
For the instruction on how to make it, please follow this link.
mā te wā.
PS Do you have a friend who would benefit from being on our mailing list? Please forward this newsletter to them with an invite to join our mailing list.